Autism is neurodevelopment disorder, interfere with normal functioning of brain and challenge the child development in the area of social interaction, communication dealings, emotional conduct.
Principles of Ayurveda helps in detailed understanding and management of causative factors in Autism, these principles provide us deep knowledge and combination of modalities like use of herbs and therapeutics procedures for effective management of Autism.
Causes related to Autism:
According to Ayurveda, brain of unborn child develops from mother aspect hence it is extremely crucial to give prime attention and care to the food and activities during pregnancy. The unwholesome food and activities especially during fifth- and sixth-months cause imbalances in the Doshas. Even mental status of mother during pregnancy plays an important role in well being of offspring. The deranged Doshas effects intrauterine growth of the unborn child and leads to any kind of neurodevelopmental disorders including Autism.
The following factors which should be prohibited in pregnancy for a healthy child are -:
- Incompatible food – There are certain kinds of food which are unsuitable to one’s constitution, which have harmful effects and should be eschewed. An Ayurveda practitioner can provide personalized information on suitable diet and lifestyle as per individual constitution.
- Incompatible food combination- Certain combination of food when taken together produces harmful material or toxins which can interfere with the nutrition of unborn child.
Few e.g. are mentioned below-:
- Consumption of milk with honey
- Consumption of sour and salty things with milk
- Eating hot and cold things together (by temperature and inherent nature)
- Smoking and alcohol to be strictly avoided in pregnancy.
- Indulgence in sex can be harmful for baby.
- Any kind of physical stress which is over exerting should be stopped like extreme walking, travelling etc.
- Mental assault- Pregnant woman should not remain under constant stress, fear or unhappy as these factors interfere with the emotional patterns of baby.
- During normal child birth, if woman severely bear down in absence of full dilatation of cervix then there is unbalanced Vata.
- And, if there is reluctance or delaying in pushing out the baby when cervix is fully dilated, causes hypoxia in babies.
- Any kind of trauma, hypoxia, ischemic insult, hypo or hyperglycemia to baby which consequently leads to brain damage may prompt development of Autistic features in some babies
- Post natal meningitis, seizures, jaundice may trigger Autism in some babies.
About the program – Autism Care
Autism care program is centered around taking care of psychological disorders. The Ayurveda modalities leveraged in this program helps in restoring the balance amongst perturbed Doshas and aims at addressing a range of physical and mental-health conditions frequently accompany autism.